API Mock Server Powered by Node.js

There we go again. I couldn't help but to (re)write my own. Unlike my previous attempt, I managed to keep implementation neat and tidy with a solid test coverage. Since all the details are on the project page, I will only focus on a few quick highlights.

Dependencies on 3rd party APIs can have a serious impact on productivity. Downtimes, lack of representative data etc. You know how it goes. Quite some time ago I came across an interesting post on coderwall

I was astonished to find out how much can be achieved with just a few lines of code. Before long I found myself writing a tool of my very own. And it worked. I was using it in my job for a while and it was of a great help, especially when it came to test automation. But eventually, I felt the cost of maintenance was too high for what I was getting in turn. 

Ultimately I decided to drop it and start from scratch. As I tend to overcommit, I set myself a fixed deadline restricting the overall effort to a single week (5 days, no cheating). 

I ended up with an implementation comprising an entry point, two modules and a utility class. The largest of these items doesn't take much more than 100 lines of code, whereas the rest fits within 50 - 80 lines. And that all includes imports, formatting and comments.

It's fair to admit that the range of features is a bit limited, but definitely not smaller than in the previous case. I surely do have plans to add more on the stack, but let's see what I have got so far.


Here are some of the features I am thinking to add in the near future:



If I was to change anything I would probably try to reduce a number of dependencies on other npm modules. Just to make the installation a bit smoother. 

That's about it, I hope you found this post inspirational. If that's not the case, well, then thanks for reading it anyway and have a Happy New Year!

My project is called scrapit. I know it's not the best name, but all the great names addressing API, mock or scrub seem to have been taken (surprise, surprise).

Check it out on github, feedback highly appreciated.